Thursday 9 August 2012

Sit up? Shut up!

If you had told me a few weeks ago that I would be going to the gym and (key point:) actually enjoying it; I would have told you to wise up! I have been in my current job for almost 3 years, in that time I have utilised my free gym membership in our gym all of four times.

Put simply, the gym terrifies me. It's the thought of the yummy mummies in their designer lycra and the buff bodybuilding boys that just made me want to hide at the prospect of having to walk in there!

However, after having lost over 2 stone, I realised that I needed to start supplementing my healthy eating with some exercise, or 'Body Magic' to us Slimming World followers. So last Friday one of the lovely girls who works in our gym, Stacey, designed me a little programme and spent time with me walking through it.

I have never done a sit up in my life. The thought of one used to make me break out in a sweat! But I did 50! FIFTY! That, for me, is a massive achievement. Basically Stacey has me doing 5 minutes of stretches then 10 minutes on the tread-milling (up to a power level of 4.5) to get me power walking. Then 10 sit ups using a medicine ball. Then 5 minutes on the rowing machine (I have big trouble with this due to some lower back issues) then another 10 sit ups, 10 minutes on the exercise bike (keeping above 70rpm) then more sit ups, a warm down on the treadmill and some stretching to finish.

...And I loved it!

I couldn't move on Saturday or Sunday after I had done it though! I guess you need to feel the discomfort to know that your body is changing. Apparently it will take 10-12 weeks for my metabolism to start balancing out and reacting to the exercise, but we will see!  It's the small steps on this big journey that give me the motivation to keep going on. I'm not worrying about my metabolic rate or muscle formation- I just want to feel a bit healthier and boost my weight loss, so fingers crossed I see my sweat (and tears) translate to losses on those scales!!

Take care!
Sian x

No comments:

Post a Comment